We are committed to moving mail and packages quickly and efficiently on campus. As mail and shipping experts, we strive to inform the university community of best practices for sending mail and packages to minimize postage and shipping costs. For information or assistance on how to save on postage costs or other mail concerns, please call (865) 974-6462.
Mail Services manages central receiving at the University of Tennessee and is responsible for the delivery and collection of all incoming and outgoing mail and packages for faculty, staff, and students, such as:
- US Postal Service mail and First Class, Priority, and Priority Express packages
- UPS overnight and ground packages
- FedEx express and ground packages
- DHL international packages
- Intracampus mail and packages
There are two exceptions to central receiving:
- UPS or FedEx next-day packages requiring delivery by 8 a.m. will be delivered directly by the respective carrier.
- Freight shipments, Staples office deliveries, and food service deliveries will continue to be delivered directly to departments.
Outgoing Mail and Package Preparation
Outgoing Mail and Package Preparation
Place all outgoing US mail without stamps in a designated mail collection or a campus mail dropbox. Mail must be banded and identified with an “Instruction to Mail Room” form. Ask your campus mail carrier for these forms or contact Mail Services.
Place all outgoing packages for USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL in the outgoing department mail area. The mail carrier will pick up prelabeled outgoing packages to Central Receiving at 2021 Stephenson Drive for delivery.
Outgoing packages that require USPS, FedEx, or UPS processing by Mail Services must have an “Instruction to Mail Room” form attached to each package (or a group of packages if multiple packages are being sent to the same location). Small outgoing packages can also be dropped off at a campus mail dropbox.
When addressing intracampus mail or packages ONLY, include the name, department name, and four-digit departmental mail code on the face of the envelope or package. This information aids in the speed and accuracy of campus delivery. A list of departments and their four-digit codes are listed in the faculty/staff directory.
NOTE: The four-digit departmental mail code should not be used in the +4 area of the ZIP code for incoming delivery of mail and packages; it is only for use on intracampus mail and packages.
US Mail Services and Classes
Our trained staff is here to help you select the most expeditious and economical method of moving mail. For the most up-to-date information, visit the USPS website.
- Expedited: Priority Express Mail
- First-Class Mail: Consists of handwritten and typewritten messages, bills, statements of accounts, postcards, checks and other payments, and business reply mail.
- Standard: Consists of circulars, booklets, catalogs, and other printed materials not otherwise required as first class mail, merchandise, farm and factory products, photographs, keys, printed drawings, parcel post, and library materials. The rates for each class and the types of movement vary considerably.
- Media Mail: Generally used for books (at least eight pages), film, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed education charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, and computer-readable media.
- Library Mail: Used by qualifying institutions like libraries, universities, zoos, and research institutions to mail educational and research material.
UPS and FedEx Package Preparation
If needed, we can create shipping labels for UPS and FedEx packages being shipped through the Mail Services department, and packages are automatically insured. When filling out the “Instruction to Mail Room” form, note the amount of insurance needed and record the address on the back of the form. Contact Mail Services for rates or additional questions at (865) 974-6462 or (865) 974-5408.
Overnight and 2nd-Day Service Standards
|FedEx Priority||Delivery by 10:30 a.m. the next business day.|
|FedEx Standard Overnight||Delivery by 3:00 p.m. the next business day.|
|FedEx Economy||Delivery by 4:30 p.m. second business afternoon—minimum one pound.|
|UPS Next-Day Air||Delivery times vary; consult Mail Services for delivery commitment.|
|UPS Second-Day Air||Delivery times vary; consult Mail Services for delivery commitment.|
|US Postal Service Express||Delivery by 5:00 p.m. the next day.|
Mail Pickup and Delivery
Mail Services has five routes, each consisting of a morning and evening delivery. Drop boxes are located at the following locations on campus
- Circle Drive near Ayres Hall
- Circle Park Drive in front of the Student Services Building
- Andy Holt Tower garage level
- McClung Tower
- Perkins Hall
- Outside Student Union at the VolShop entrance
Scheduled collection times are between 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Should you miss the collection time at a drop box and need to ship an urgent package, please contact Mail Services to schedule a pickup. You can also drop a package off at Mail Services for delivery at 2021 Stephenson Drive.
Mail Statement Retrieval
Mail Services utilizes digital metering postage machines required by the US Postal Service. Click below to find a detailed description of how to retrieve monthly statements.
To access monthly mail charges from DF Works:
- Navigate to the DF Works portal. (It may be necessary to connect through UT’s Pulse Secure VPN. Instructions are at OIT Knowledge Base.)
- Log in with the username and password emailed to you from Mail Services.
- Click on “Postage Accounting” in the menu on the left of the screen.
- Click “Reports,” then “Base,” then “Account.”
- Enter the desired Account Information and search dates.
- Select the “Summary” button for charge overview or “Mailrun” for complete transaction details.
- Click “View” to view the report.
When placing an order, please submit all contact information and mailing lists to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing lists must be sent as Excel files with the .csv file extension.
A .csv file is a comma-separated value spreadsheet. The mailing list should be organized in the .csv spreadsheet as follows:
|Title||First Name||Last Name||Address||City||State||Zip Code|
|Mr.||John||Doe||2021 Stephenson Dr.||Knoxville||TN||37996|
|Ms.||Jane||Doe||2021 Stephenson Dr.||Knoxville||TN||37996|