University Mail Services is responsible for the delivery and collection of all intra-campus mail and the processing of US Mail. Mail Services is committed to moving mail expeditiously and keeping the university community informed of the best and least expensive methods of moving various types of mail, which requires a thorough knowledge of US Postal Service regulations, rates, services, and operations. For information, assistance, or advice on how to save on postage charges or other mail matters, please call 865-974-6462.
When placing an order, please submit all contact information and mailing lists to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mailing lists must be sent as Excel files with the .csv file extension. A .csv file is a comma-separated value spreadsheet. The mailing list should be organized in the .csv spreadsheet as follows:
|Title||First Name||Last Name||Address||City||State||Zip Code|
|Mr||John||Doe||2021 Stephenson Dr.||Knoxville||TN||37996|
|Ms||Jane||Doe||2021 Stephenson Dr.||Knoxville||TN||37996|
Contact Mail Services at 974-6462 with any questions regarding mailing lists.
Outgoing Mail Preparation
All outgoing US Mail should be placed without stamps in a designated office area for collection with campus mail, or in the special campus drop boxes located around campus. The mail must be banded and identified with an “Instruction to Mail Room” form. For a supply of these forms, ask your campus mail carrier or call 865-974-5408.
All other special campus drop boxes located around campus. The mail must be banded and identified with an “Instruction to Mail Room” form. For a supply of these forms, ask your campus mail carrier or call 865-974-5408.
When addressing campus or outgoing mail, please include your zip plus four-digit code. These codes aid in the speed and accuracy of delivery. A list of departments and their four-digit codes are listed in the Faculty/Staff directory.
US Mail Services and Classes
U.S. Postal Service has announced new prices for 2014. Click here for more information.
For the most up-to-date information, visit the USPS website.
- Expedited: US Overnight Mail
- First-Class Mail: Consisting of handwritten and typewritten messages, bills and statements of account, postcards, cancelled and uncancelled checks, and business reply mail.
- Standard: Consisting of circular, booklets, catalogs, and other printed materials not otherwise required as first class mail, merchandise, farm and factory products, photographs, keys and printed drawings, parcel post and library materials. The rates for each class and the types of movement vary considerably. University Mail Services staff members have been trained to advise customers in selecting the most expeditious and economical method of moving mail. Call 865-974-6462 for assistance.
- Media Mail: Generally used for books (at least eight pages), film, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed education charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, and computer-readable media.
- Library Mail: Used by qualifying institutions like libraries, universities, zoos, and research institutions to mail educational and research material.
UPS Package Preparation
Packages can be sent by UPS through University Mail Services. Packages are automatically insured for $100 each. When filling out the “Instruction to Mail Room” form be sure to note the amount of insurance needed and also record the address on the back of the form. Call University Mail Services for rates and other details at 974-6462.
Overnight and 2nd Day Service
|FedEx Priority||Delivery by 10:30 a.m. next business day.|
|FedEx Standard Overnight||Delivery by 3:00 p.m. next business day.|
|FedEx Economy||Delivery by 4:30 p.m. second business afternoon – minimum one pound.|
|UPS Next Day Air||Delivery times vary, consult Mail Services for delivery commitment.|
|UPS Second Day Air||Delivery times vary, consult Mail Services for delivery commitment.|
|U.S. Postal Service Express||Delivery by 5:00 p.m. next day.|
Mail Pickup and Delivery
University Mail Services has five routes, each consisting of a morning and evening delivery. Six drop boxes have been placed on campus. Collections are made from these boxes between the hours of 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. These mail boxes are located in:
- Ayres Hall
- Communications Building
- Andy Holt Tower
- McClung Tower
- Perkins Hall
- Stokely Management Center
A drop box for on-campus business mail only is located on the first-floor level of the University Center with pickup scheduled at 9:00 a.m.
Mail Statement Retrieval
University Mail Services has purchased new postage machines and accounting system to become compliant with digital metering required by the US Postal Service. Due to changes your current procedure for retrieving monthly statements will no longer work. Click below to find a detailed description on how to retrieve your statements. If you have any questions, please call 865-974-6462.
New instructions to access monthly mail charges:
- YOU MUST USE INTERNET EXPLORER
- Click here to gain access
- Log in with the Username/Password emailed to you from Mail Services
- Click on “Custom Reports” in the menu on the left of the screen
- In the submenu under “Custom Reports”, click “Postage by Account”
- In the submenu under “Postage by Account”, click “Postage by Account”
- Enter your search criteria
- Be sure to select ENDDATE from the “Search Date Field” dropdown
- Enter a Start Date & End Date
- Click “View” or “Export”
If you have any questions, please call 865-974-6462.