We are pleased to provide passport application services to students, staff and the general public in the Student Union.
Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Closed for lunch from
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Call (865) 974-7960 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Please note: We serve walk-ins as the time allows between scheduled appointments, and strongly recommend scheduling an appointment.
1502 Cumberland Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37996
Paid visitor parking is available at the Volunteer Hall garage located on White Avenue behind the College of Law.
To Get a Passport:
- Applicants for a US passport must be US citizens.
- All applicants must appear in person.
- Both parents must appear for minors under sixteen (16) years of age.
- If one parent cannot attend, a notarized letter of consent or other legal documents must be presented at the time of application. View information on minors.
- Applicants over 16 years of age must personally sign their passport application.
(As of March 24, 2023)
Routine processing: Routine processing currently takes approximately 10-13 weeks from the application date.
Expedited processing: Expedited processing takes approximately 7-9 weeks from the application date. Additional fees apply.
If you need your passport in less than two weeks, visit the US Department of State website.
These requirements pertain to applicants 16 years of age and older. View information on minors.
Proof of Citizenship
- A certified birth certificate from the country or state where you were born. The birth certificate must have a raised, embossed, impressed, or multi-colored seal and list both parents. (Hospital certificates and photocopies are not acceptable).
- A naturalization certificate
- A certificate of citizenship
- A full-term, non-limited US Passport book or card (undamaged)
Proof of Identity
- Valid state or federally-issued picture ID such as a driver’s license, ID card, military ID, passport book, or card
DS-11 form options (Application for a US Passport)
A completed passport application (form DS-11) is required for both first-time and renewal in-person applicants. This form is available in the Passport Services office or on the US Department of State website. Complete the DS-11 form online and bring it with you to save time.
- The only application the UT Passport Services office can process is for form DS-11.
- If you print the DS-11 at home, make sure the form prints on two separate pages—not front and back.
- If you are eligible to renew through the mail (using the form DS-82, confirm eligibility and follow the US Department of State website to submit the application on your own. Passport Services cannot mail the form for you.
You may bring a photo (US Passport size: 51mm x 51mm/2″ x 2″), or Passport Services can take one for you ($12).
There are two (2) separate payments—a application fee and a execution fee. There is also a optional photo fee.
Passport Application Fee
Fees must be paid by check or money order. Make check or money order payable to the US Department of State. Money orders are available at the campus Post Office located in the Student Union, Suite 161B.
Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Must be paid with exact cash or money order. Make money order payable to the University of Tennessee.
Optional Photo Fee
If you choose to have Passport Services take your photo, the payment must be made with exact cash or money order only. Money orders should be payable to the University of Tennessee.