Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Passport FAQs

What information do I need to apply for or renew a passport?

You need to complete a DS-11 form, which can be located on the US Department of State website. We recommend you fill it out prior to visiting the UT Passport Services office.

Do you accept walk-ins or is an appointment required?

Walk-ins are welcome; however, our preference is for visitors to schedule an appointment. Call 865-974-7960. Morning times are usually the best.

Are original supporting documents required (i.e. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, etc.)?

Yes, you must provide originals, which will be returned to you once your new passport has been processed.

What is the cost to obtain a passport?

The execution fee, also known as the acceptance fee, is $35 per application. The passport application fees vary and can be found in the passport fees section of the US Department of State website.

What are your hours of operation?

We accept applications Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We are closed on weekends, holidays, and during university administrative closings.

Do you accept credit or debit cards?

Currently, Passport Services does not accept credit or debit cards The passport application processing fee must be paid by check or money order made payable to the US Department of State. Money orders are available at the campus Post Office located in the Student Union, Suite 161B.

Do I need a passport book or card?

It depends on your travel destination. If you are traveling on a cruise to Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, or if you are traveling by land to Mexico or Canada then you may wish to apply for a US Passport Card. However, you are not able to travel by air to a foreign country with the passport card.

Can I request a rush on my application?

Visit the National Passport Information Center website for more information.

Does everyone applying for an application have to be present?

Yes, everyone must be present for the entire process.

Where are you located and is parking available?

Passport Services is located in the Student Union, Suite 161E at 1502 Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996. Paid visitor parking is available at the Volunteer Hall garage located on White Avenue behind the College of Law.